Original Article was published on LinkedIn
A well-written career objective on a resume is your proof of the right candidate for the job, even if you don’t have any work experience.
An objective statement at the top of your resume states your career goals and shows why you are the right fit for the job. It includes the job title applying for, mastered skills and the values you will bring to the company.
And you are at the right place to learn how to write one.
This article includes:
- The perfect career objective on resume employers wants to read.
- When to use objective statements on a resume to outshine the crowd.
- How to write a career objective that will land you the job interview even if you have no experience?
- My pro-written objective statements as examples.
What is an objective statement on a resume?
A career objective on a resume is a paragraph at the top of the resume outlining your key skills and what career you are seeking at a given company.
A twist here an “objective statement” shouldn’t focus only on your career goal. If it is written like
“Hard-working candidate looking for a challenging role to practice the learnt skills”.
HR experts said this kind of objective statement on a resume is a relic of the nineties. A good objective shouldn’t focus on your outcomes from the job applying for but also include how your experience and qualifications can turn into the company benefits. A is:
English graduate with proven communication, travel planning and email management skills. Seeking the role of executive assistant at Ace of the cakes to leverage organizational success and research skills to support internal and external communication.
When to use an objective statement on a resume?
The career objective should be used carefully. Most HRs recommend objective statements to the following groups of candidates:
- First time entering the job market.
- Switching industries, career change or explaining unclear paths.
If you have little or no experience, then an objective statement is a requirement. Little work experience means 2 years or less. But if you are an expert professional with work experience of more than 5 years then there is no need for an objective statement as your experience will explain why you right fit the job.
How to write an objective statement on a resume?
My clients always appreciated my resume writing service especially they appreciate the objective statement I write for them. So, I am sharing my 5 steps in writing a rocking career objective.
- Initiate with your strong trait with 2–3 mastered skills, your professional goal and your benefit for the company.
- Mention position applying for with company name.
- Limit objective statement to 2–3 sentences.
- Avoid first-person pronouns.
- Use resume action verbs to add impact.
My pro-written objective statements as examples
- Hard-working retail associate, skilled in POS tech and inventory management. Seeking to increase sales and customer loyalty as a Sale Associate at All Mart. Built volunteer retail experience at Goodwill as cashier and restocker, receiving management commendation for excellent customer communication.
- Organized and motivated employee, skilled in time management and organizational skills in a flexible working environment. Seeking to join Microsoft as an administrative assistant to ensure good internal and external communication and budget management.
- Result-driven Business Administrative graduate with 3.5 GPA seeki8ng to fill the position as a management assistant at Onmo AI. To use proven data analysis and management skills to help Onmo AI with upcoming challenges.
Fiverr Top Rated freelance web developer, seeking to use Python and Ruby skills to deliver codding excellence to Hubspot. Have developed 10+ web apps and 15+ mobile apps. Received 5000+ positive reviews at Fiverr. Wrote back–end code for 40 working business websites.
Focused and Organized team player with proven leadership and communication skills earned as editor-in-chief of the official Roots IVY blog. Seeking an opportunity to leverage company targets as a server at Karachi Restaurant.
Don’t worry, I will hassle you out of writing your resume within 12–24 hours. Click here!
If you enjoyed reading my article, please like it and share it so others can benefits from it too. Also, if you have any suggestions or questions. Comment them down below and I will reply ASAP :)